Parker Road, west of Chehalis
Who: Hemphill-O’Neill Company
What: Twilight Tour of Parker Road parcel
When: August 16, 2022 6:30 pm
Where: Parker Road, near Boistfort
The O’Neill family, owners of Hemphill-O’Neill Company were our 2022 Lewis County Tree Farmers of the Year. They own multiple parcels in Lewis County but have chosen to give us a tour on one where several management activities can be seen.
Driving Directions: From I-5/Exit 77 proceed approx. 10.4 miles west on State Hwy 6, past Adna and past
Boistfort Rd. to Parker Rd. (Parker Road is approx. 1 mile past Boistfort Rd.) Turn left onto Parker Rd. Continue to the end of Parker Rd. and watch for Forestry Tour Signs.
Details on Tour:
Review harvest and reforestation activities on 3 contiguous timber parcels (160 acres total).
- A 1/8 mile walk through an 18 year-old cedar plantation (logged & planted to replace root rot DF).
- A mixed species plantation (DF & WRC) in its 3rd year of growth.
- A comparison of flexible net vs. rigid hard tubing on WRC.
- A comparison of site prep spray vs. no site prep on plantations growth.
- A recently logged area, prepped for planting next spring.
- View of final 5 acre harvest scheduled for 2023.