Twilight Tour of the Boyer Family Tree Farm, jointly sponsored by Grays Harbor, Lewis, Pacific and South Sound chapters
Who: Merc and Nina Boyer
Where: 68 Butler Mill Road, Elma, WA
The Boyers own 4 parcels of land, one dating back 6 generations to the 1880’s. They live on their 51.3 acre Grays Harbor County tree farm. Since 2015, they have completed 3 harvests totaling 20 acres followed by planting nearly 10,000 seedlings of 13 different tree species.
The tour will be a 0.9 mile walking loop with 4 “Stop & Talks”. Vehicles can accommodate those unable to walk the distance. Including all is the goal.
- A 2 Acre Clone Red Alder Test Project in collaboration with WSU/Puyallup in its 4th year of growth
- A 10 Acre WR Cedar monoculture plantation with 6 yrs growth (planted to replace root rot DF)
- A 12 Acre, 28 year old Doug Fir monoculture plantation with laminated root rot issues
- A mixed species planted plantation in its 3rd and 4th years of growth (DF, WRC, WWP and RA)
- A fish stream RMZ with decisions to be made: setbacks, FREP, FFFP, etc.
- Legacy Tree Groves of 3 or more different species capable of living a 1,000 years or more
- Multiple deer browse protection methods compared side by side
- Red Alder stumps with coppice (sprouting) for plantation regeneration
- Wildlife enhancement projects
- A Chehalis Valley View at sunset in Grays Harbor
- A WA State registered honey bee operation; Blackberry Hill Apiary
- A free raffle drawing for home grown tree farm wild honey & other tree farm related goodies!
Refreshments: The Grays Harbor Chapter of WFFA is providing snacks and refreshments.
Restroom facilities will be available.
Covid: The tour is outside. Please take whatever precautions that keep you comfortable.
Invite a friend(s) interested in sustainable working forests and good stewardship.
Driving Directions: On Highway 12, between Oakville and Elma (between mileposts 27 & 28 at Porter) turn onto Butler Mill Road. Drive 0.3 miles, then turn right uphill onto our private blacktop driveway at the Forestry Tour sign. (Mail box has #68). Continue up our road until a greeter shows you where to park.
Questions? Please call or text Merc @ 360 480 4282 with any tour or directions questions.